Monday, April 14, 2008

Peeps #2

Here's the latest shout out to Trish, Kira, Kelly, Wonderful Jessica and the rest of the lovely ladies over at Dr.Styrt's. (And Dr.Styrt too.) Dental alignment couldn't be practiced by a finer, friendlier, classier group of people. I had an adjustment today and was showered with good news like jelly-beans on Easter morning.
First of all, who can lick the roof their mouth with their tongue? That's right, I can. Kelly ground that buggering RPE out and my tongue feels like it's moved out of a New York apartment and into a French chateau. The roof is really tingly when I touch it and Kelly said to be careful of hot foods because it needs to get roughed up a little bit before it can handle that sort of thing.
Next, I was given new wires. I think they're both 17x25 nitinol wires. For those less geeky as me, they're rectangular. How is this different than square? Well, without going into the physics of how a rectangular cross section is stronger than a square cross section (and way stronger than a round cross section) because of the amount of material that is further from the neutral axis, just know that it is a stronger wire and you'll probably be happy I spared you the details.
And finally, Doc said things will take as long as they take to be ready for surgery (which I agree with) but his guess was somewhere around 4 months from now. 4 months! I've learned not to hold my breath when waiting for the praise of the orthodontic deities, but I'm kinda stoked.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

yippee skipee friend...now where are the europe pics??

kell said...

Today we ACTUALLY sawed the jaw of my guy. As you can imagine, I had to pass on the opportunity. Just a little weird. :)

Michelle said...

CONGRATS on the removal of that horrible device. Doesn't it feel weird? I had to have the TPA put in and finally had that removed just a few weeks ago. I love having nothing on the roof of my mouth. Although I do find taht sometimes my pronunciation is a bit off. I guess time will fix that.
4 months... that's awesome news!

Tony, the Restless Foodie said...

Dude - you're so close! Hope it turns out just like you expected.

How about you post up a new picture on your profile?

holski said...

4 months is going to flyyyy by. Nice blog by the way! I've enjoyed reading your story. Do you mind if I put a link to it on my blog???

ingrid said...

hi there! hope your teeth are ready for surgery soon! will you be able to schedule a surgery date before your teeth are totally ready? i remember scheduling my own surgery about 4 months in advance.

Shontelly said...

Awesome! I remember that feeling Oh so well. I hope everything gets moving in the right direction so that you can be ready for surgery. 4 months is not far away AT ALL.