Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ouchy

Ever since about the middle of Week 2 any complaints of pain came from the muscles (the masseter, actually) being all tight and not being able to strech out. The bone break has long since felt fine. This morning seems to be particularly bad for some reason. Must be because of yesterdays appointment with The Chainsaw. Before I got to brush, he wanted to do a little stretching. He told me to open up enough to put my index finger between my teeth. Seems easy enough, I could just barely do it. Then he told me to rotate my finger 90 degrees. Hmm, ok, took a second but I got it. Then he told me to put two fingers between my teeth and rotate them. I could turn them maybe 45 degrees and I was cheating by letting them slide around each other instead of keeping them directly side by side. Well, I think The Chainsaw was busy this particular morning because after my weak attempt he decided to do it himself. Donning a blue latex glove he placed his hand ever so gentl....WHAM! and twisted! And as I whimpered like a little girl, writhing around like a spider had been held in front of her face with nowhere to go, he calmly held my jaw open for 30 seconds or so. It hurt pretty badly. Granted, before the surgery, he said the rehab would be very hard. I just expected something more gradual. Like a tiny vintage car jack that would ratchet my mouth open one tiny crank at a time. No such luck.

Next week he said we were aiming for three fingers. He suggested I pre-medicate with some advil. I'm thinking some of that leftover vicodin might do the trick.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Wow! I can imagine that hurt! My Dr said that at 7 weeks I was on track with being able to open 2 fingers wide...now at 11 weeks I am almost at 3 fingers :) Just keep doing the yawning exercises...it will feel better :)

stephanie said...

Oh my GOODNESS! Thursday is my first 'physical therapy' visit with my surgeon - you've got me shaking in my slippers, here :) Crazy stuff, man!!

I've got a finger and a half or so of opening, if that would be possible ;)