Friday, November 13, 2009

Implantified

Yesterday went really well. As well as I could have ever hoped. When I was 16 sitting in the waiting room to have what was left of my #30 tooth removed I remember looking through the pamphlet of what implants entailed and had a bit of a panic attack. I didn't have much time to think about the whole process as it was kind of an emergency extraction and seeing little illustrated pictures of metal posts sticking out of people's gums made me queasy. Maybe I've just gotten used to dental surgery. I went in, tried to relax a bit, and once The Chainsaw showed up they put a little nitrous oxide over my nose and a tiny needle in my arm and before you could say blueberry pie I was back to and texting my friends and family. Looking back through my Sent Messages apparently I REALLY liked the feeling of the nitrous. Who could blame me? It's fun! I did pass out in the wheelchair on the way to the car, I think it was a combination of the nitrous and thinking I could talk and stand up and everything way before I should. Definitely need a driver if you're having this done! But once I was able to nap it off and drink some soup I felt like I was good to go around 2pm. I got a little healing cap over it so they didn't put the flap of gum back over the implant like I thought they would.

It's not so bad, just a little more hardware :)

3 comments:

kell said...

yay for more chrome!

stephanie said...

Hurray more hardware ;)

I'm sure that no dental surgery looks major after having both jaws sawed apart :)

ttrombecky said...

It sounds like they are moving faster over one step for you. I had the flap closed up, then after the implant "takes" and attaches to the bone (4-6 mos), they open up the flap and put that little cap on. THEN once that heals (4-6 wks), comes the final crown. Sounds like maybe you'll be able to skip that 'reopen the flap' step. Ya done good kid!! :o)