Friday, September 14, 2007

Packing It On

I weigh 190lbs. I weigh more today than I ever have in my life. I'm trying to gain weight before the surgery.

And I love it.

I've been trying to gain weight since high school and have always had a hard time at it. Now, for the vast majority of you who are scrunching your face and about to get all uppity with your sarcastic I-wish-I-had-that-problems and your oh-life-is-so-hard-having-a-fast-metabolism retorts this is what I have to say to you: I have no doubt in my mind it is as much effort for me to gain five pounds as it is for you to lose five pounds. Now that we've established that this is not an easy task for me let's move on.

Granted, that's not to say that it isn't without its interesting benefits. If I want to eat ice cream in the middle of the day, I do. Even if I don't want to eat ice cream in the middle of the day, sometimes I do. I had a cheeseburger and chocolate shake for breakfast the other day. But other than the decadence of it all there are other perks. I no longer hold back on ordering the food that I really want just because I'm trying to save money. I consider this an investment in my health and I don't mind shelling out a little more per week for that. Also, it forces me to workout religiously. I don't want to just gain weight, I want to gain good weight. When you're sitting around doing nothing (like I'll be soon) muscle mass disappears way before fat mass. So just skipping the salad and gorging on pop-tarts will not help me out at all. Going to the gym and using up those calories however creates nice dense muscle mass. So I'm happy about the way I look. I've also convinced myself with no scientific evidence that by being as strong as I can I'll be able to heal quicker. Can't be complete rubbish right?

The downside of all this is like any diet or workout regiment I have to stay on it. Keeping a high calorie intake is difficult when you're not used to it and sometimes you just don't feel like lifting.

I've gained about 6lbs in three weeks and would like to reach 200 by the surgery. So if you'll excuse me, I have to finish my last Zinger.

9 comments:

kell said...

Wow! That is awesome. I'm so impressed and so very proud. If anyone knows, I know how hard it is to keep up that kind of routine but for you?! So hard! At least you are seeing results and thats the best! And I am also a believer in that idea that being in shape will help you heal faster. I know from experience. Keep up the lifting...oh, and change up your workout every so often. Thats the best way I found to keep from getting bored and losing your focus. Guess I can't call you skinny anymore ;)

Cintia said...

Hey Chris!
Yep, you should gain few more pounds cause you will lose them really fast after the surgery. But I hate to say that your new nice muscles will disappear too, but you're right, it will make you heal faster. Hope everything goesw perfect!

Michelle said...

Hi Chris,
After reading your post to me, I decided to find and read your whole blog. Sounds like we have some similiar issues except, I still have to have the Lefort I even though I've had SARPE. I have a pretty good open bite. I had to laugh when I read your post about trying to bite into a sandwich with lettuce. Or all of those other things for that matter. I can really relate!! Since my SARPE and braces, I actually think my open bite has gotten a little worse. I get a stainless steel wire next month and I'm hoping it might help out a little. I don't know, I guess I'll have to wait and see. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Hopefully your OS will be in a better place then.
Michelle

Shontelly said...

Your SARPE is going to be a piece of cake! If your even sweating it a little - don't! Well there's that whole dying on the operating table thing but ya know.. ; ) Just messing with ya. Your going to be fine!! I am really into your story! I CAN NOT wait to see the results. It's amazing what a lil jaw cracking can do to a person.

Erin said...

Hah, I hate you. But I am a girl and was like, "yeah, weight loss! woohoo!" And I really didn't lose all that much. I lost like, 10 lbs at the most and that was after upper and lower jaw surgery.

I know some people take the opportunity to bulk up beforehand, so you're not alone. So yeah, 1) I'm a girl and 2) I'm kind of a crazy girl.

Mmmm, ice cream. Don't eat too much of it now because you might get sick of it by the time it's one of the few easy things left to eat!

chris k said...

You're so right about the ice cream! I'm scared that might happen. Luckily my protein shakes come in a bunch of different flavors. And I've been experimenting too. Like, if you mix vanilla powder with apple juice instead of milk or water, voila! Apple pie!

Erin said...

Vanilla powder and apple juice = apple pie? Hmmmm, this I might have to try, but I'm kind of scared!

chris k said...

Vanilla flavored protein shake that is :)

Michelle said...

Hi Chris,
Just checking in to see how the weight gaining is going? When I had my SARPE in June, I lost 11 lbs. 4 months post op and I feel really good. I have gained a couple of lbs. back but, I feel really good about where I am at.
I agree with Shontell, the SARPE will be a piece of cake. I would definitely do it all over again. You sound like you are planning really well.
I have read your whole blog but, I can't remember. Are you having another surgery after this?
Take care!
Michelle