Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Things Could Be Worse...

You guys would not believe the October I've had so far.

To start off, I got called in to Jury Duty. Yes, I was actually on a jury. Well better to get it over with I guess. I was there for the better part of a week deliberating over a Battery Against a Dating Partner. They were both shady characters and honestly none of us really knew how a case like it could have made it to trial. (Not to make light of domestic violence.) But we didn't trust either of them and it ended up being a hung jury. Not so bad, a good week before surgery taken up in an interesting way.

Then I go play hockey and decide to block a puck with my hand. Slapshot right to the palm where there's no padding to speak of. When I get home I figure it's better to check into the ER at 12am than it is the next morning so I cruise over there for an x-ray. They send me home with some Vicodin and tell me it's not broken, just needs some rest and deswelling. The next morning I take a sick day to enjoy my Vicodin on the couch and get a phone call from the radiologist. He sees a fracture and I need to go to an orthopedic. Great. I've broken my hand before and it's not super painful but being in a cast for 6 weeks is more annoying than a little brother. So I go to the ortho(pedic) and he squeezes my palm near the wrist and says, "Is this tender?" "No"I say, "it's up here by the fingers." "Have you ever injured your hand before?" he queries. "Yeah about 6 years ago I punched a wall" quoth I. (This story deserves its own telling over a couple drinks.) You guessed it. The radiologist saw the old fracture. So I'm fine and on my way.

Well whew, I made it through the week and it's Monday morning, 6am. Imagine the contentedness on my face in the middle of a cozy slumber after a busy weekend. Now imagine my heart palpitating and lungs gasping when I become jarringly awoken by my phone. My family got evacuated for the fires. They're staying with me now. Everyone is fine and the houses are ok so far but god damn if I can't get a break. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. We're native San Diegans. This ain't our first barbeque.

Oh yeah, if the fires keep going there's a chance my "elective" surgery will be postponed again.

Ack.

7 comments:

Graham said...

And I was worried when I nearly slipped on the way home today. Damn, sorry to hear all of this man. I hope your luck turns around and you stay on track.

Andrea Shockling said...

glad to hear you guys are safe. lisi and i were wondering about all our west coast friends and i'll admit to a bit of heart thumping while viewing some of the pictures of the fires and thinking of those we know who live nearby...i had forgotten this may be old hat to you - i always picture you as being from maryland :)

Michelle said...

Well, they say things come in three's so, hopefully you have had your fill.
I do wish your family all the best.
Hopefully you don't have to postpone your surgery date again. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Kristy Eng said...

wow Chris, im sorry to hear, but u know what they say, when bad things happen theres always better things coming! Hopefully the fires keep contained and your family's home remains safe. Also sorry to hear about your hand, but good that its not broken! Just keep smilin!

Michelle said...

Tell the Doc that you have plenty of friends who can man the hoses while he gets the job done!!! Man..the hockey sounds awesome. I wish I would have played some hockey, not much ICE around here in FL. I did however play some tackle football. Oh yeah, we actually traveled to CA for the Womens SupHERbowl! I'll have to post a pic on my blog! Well chow for now!

Erin said...

Wow, that's a lot of stuff for one month, especially a month that isn't even over yet.

The fires are really scary. I've been close to a forest fire before, in Michigan, MUCH smaller, and that was pretty scary. If the wind had been blowing the other way, we would have had to evacuate, and since the road was on a peninsula, we'd have to leave by boat. Anyway, fire bad. I hope things are starting to turn around. That's too much stuff in such a short period of time!

And casts are very annoying. But don't you miss showering with a bag over your arm?

Shontelly said...

Elective.. I've had enough of that word. Sorry to hear that your family had to go through the fires and also glad to hear that everythings ok and that they will be going home(last post).

Spacers are a bitch right?!! I hated those more than anything! I can't even imagine getting a cleaning in the middle of that.
anyhoo.. hope your hands doing better and your gaining some healthy weight! =)