Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thish Ish Shuper!

In my opinion, the expander isn't as bad as people say. Yesh itsh hilarious to hear me shpeak, but I find it funny too so I don't mind. It's tricky to keep all the saliva down because 1)there's a lot of it, and 2)you have to relearn how to swallow. The roof of my mouth dries out a bit which is weird but there's enough room up there to lick it with my tongue. I wonder if my roof is high enough that food won't get too stuck in there. Maybe I'm dreaming.

Kira, my tech, made me try to say "spaghetti" and "green grass" before she let me go and I'm not sure if there was any medical practice to it or if it was solely for her enjoyment. Fringe benefit of the job I guess. I don't blame her :)

I was curious how much expanding he'd like to do and the measurements look like 6mm. Dr.Styrt said this would be about 24 turns. So one week after surgery (which is an IMPOSSIBLE word to say right now) I'll start cranking twice a day and go back in after one week to check my progress at 14 turns.

Good thing I bought all this saltwater taffy to enjoy for Halloween tonight. (jk)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a pallet expander when I was 4 years old. I remember my mom had to turn a key a couple times a day and it hurt every time.

kell said...

I wonder if I'll ever do stuff like that to my patients? hmmm...does sound like a bit of a laugh and dentists probably need that once in a while putting people through so much pain! :) So an expander is widening the roof of your mouth right? Is it actually set into the maxilla? Or how does it do its thing exactly?

Michelle said...

Not so bad?? You obviously haven't experienced the full effects of it yet! Brandy was correct when she called it a torture device!!
Honestly, you do get used to it, it just stinks sometimes. After my SARPE, it did give me the stability I definitely needed. I've actually had moments recently where I think, I hope my jaw is stable enough for it to come out on the 13th. What am I thinking??? Anyways, good luck on Saturday. I'm sure everything will go perfectly!

Michelle said...

Just wait until your tongue gets all sliced and diced from the saliva sucking action that is by no way avoidable. Or...when that piece of food that you didn't cut up good enough gets stuck up there and your in a restaurant and it is just buggin the freck out of you...your days are coming. I have to admit, I think I had fun with the speech part too. I think that arrow is so funny, mine did not have an arrow and the OS kept making sure I was turning it the right way, he said he had a patient who turned it backwards for a week, damnitman! Well hope you keep the great attitude, Im just glad its you now and my turn is OVA'

AntiHip said...

i have spacers right now! they are hell!!!! i cannot eat anything and i cant even bite. but on tuesday i will be getting my bands!!!