Friday, July 17, 2009

One Week Passed

I'm feeling conflicted about what to post about the past couple days. I don't know if I want to rehash all the details of Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc., or if I just give an overall summary. Opinions? I'm sure most of you could guess from my lack of enthusiastic posting before this surgery that I didn't come in to it with a head full of steam. Partly because I had a lot of stuff going on just prior, and partly because I didn't feel it would be a huge deal since I had survived the SARPE (and pretty well I think.) In hindsight, I wish I had put my head down and barrelled in like I did before as far as putting on weight and eating well and exercising. Instead I just sort of moseyed in to major skull chopping.
I will say these few things in general:
-the pain is different than the SARPE. That was a burning kind of sensation along the entire upper lip line. This one is very sharp localized pain right underneath my ears. This must be where the bone was removed from the maxilla for the posterior impaction.
-On the one hand, it's nice to be able to keep the roof of my mouth wet and happy, on the other hand, it'd be nice to be able to do the same for my lips.
-It's hard work eating through a syringe. Way easier when you can open your mouth.

Overall, I feel like this one is definitely taking more out of me, but I can't be sure if it's because of the different procedure, or if I just wasn't ready like I should have been.

2 comments:

tsteeves said...

Going to have double jaw surgery and genioplasty on August 10th. Not sure what I should be doing to prepare. Also had SARPE and don't recall really preparing for that at all...but am more apprehensive about this. Is there anything you realize now that you would've done differently in preparing?

stephanie said...

I have the same pain underneath my ears - especially at night.