Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tsteeves Asks,

"Going to have double jaw surgery and genioplasty on August 10th. Not sure what I should be doing to prepare. Also had SARPE and don't recall really preparing for that at all...but am more apprehensive about this. Is there anything you realize now that you would've done differently in preparing?"
Well Tstsy, first of all let me say that it's hard for me to imagine how much harder a double surgery would be than this. In my "research" it seems clear that BSSO-ers have it way worse than Leforte-ees. Here's what I do know, about a month out from my SARPE I got jacked. Hitting the gym, eating well, eating LOTS, it was my mission. I put on almost 20 pounds of muscle, had great energy and a beaming outlook on the surgery to come. Now, having, growing, or defining your muscles (or any part of your body's picture) probably doesn't directly help at all. But what it did was make me feel damn near indestructible mentally. Sure, I took it easy afterwards and wasn't out benchpressing cars in between blended lunches, but I always had a really great feeling about the whole thing. This time I didn't do any of that. I'm not depressed or anything. Things are coming along really well and I still see great progress from day to day. I'm pretty sure I won't need 100% of the time off I've requested from work (shh, don't tell anyone) and I can already see an amazing result waiting for me under some swelling and bad skin. But since you asked, I would have gotten in great shape like last time were I forced to try again.
Now, that's just one of my things. I like going to the gym. I love setting goals for myself and reaching them (or missing them and self-motivating to reach them next time around.) Maybe your thing is a musical instrument, a visual art, a crossword puzzle, spending time with someone special, working on your house, whatever. My point is this:
Make yourself indestructible.

...it might not help at all. I might be full of it. But that's my tuppence for those still listening :)

3 comments:

stephanie said...

Oh MAN! No, I didn't get to pick where my bone graft came from. You were very smart to choose the inside of the mouth (or, I think so, as this hip has been a real pain).

I am really glad I chose to run the half marathon before the surgery - I feel like it's really helped me recover :)

Foxface said...

I hear you. I'm also getting closer to my surgery - I'm probably going to join team BSSO - and I'm thinking of giving up coffee and white sugar. Glad to hear your more than half way there! It's good to know it can be done.

Katherine (Kate) said...

AMEN!! I couldn't agree with you more!