Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Clean Yourself Up

Day#5 and there's not a whole lot to talk about. It seems like the most difficult part of this game is keeping the roof of my mouth clean and dry. I spent the better part of the morning cleaning out gobs and gobs of gunk from up there. It has also been an ongoing front to dissolve the clotted blood holding my upper lip to my front teeth. I've certainly gotten my hunger back. The first couple days out I could only put down a few ounces of anything at a time but this morning I made myself a nice big old pineapple and vanilla shake and downed the whole thing. And yes, I did make it myself. Hooray for being proactive about your recovery schedule. Then I took a nice bath (which is waaay more relaxing than a shower, which is all I have at my place) and made another shake for lunch, this time cookies 'n' cream. The sad news of the day is that virtually all of the weight I had put on is now departed from my body. 198lbs was the closest I could get to my goal and I weighed 195 the morning of the surgery. Now, a scant 180 I feel like a waif. I'm hoping that I can get back to a 3-shake-a-day regiment to stop any more loss, but once I get eating again I'm hoping to put some of it back on.

Swallowing is still a little disturbing at times but not as bad as it was. I'm carrying around a towel for saliva so I don't have to swallow for swallowing's sake. Still lots of pressure in the sinuses and the very few times I've tried to utter a word it sounds (as it should) very, very congested. I'm not taking any more Vicodin during the day but they do help me get to sleep. So the pain isn't too bad.

Oh, I am taking daily pictures but won't be able to post them until next week.

6 comments:

Shontelly said...

Hi Chris! Good to hear your home and doing well. You lose weight pretty fast don't ya. awwwe poor you.(ANYWAY)Congrats on surviving sarpe - so far. ;)

kell said...

You did it! Yay!!! That's the most important thing right?!? Plus its great to be getting better and better. That also means the weight will come back eventually so no worries. I'm so excited I'm telling everyone about you and my dreams of being an surgeon are getting bigger and bigger with every post! I can't believe you can feel your maxilla...wow. If only I could feel that! (j/k) :)

oh, where are you by the way?

Michelle said...

Hey Chris welcome back from lala land. Did you have SARPE only? Or was there more. I was surprised to hear they kept you overnight, thinking you just had SARPE. Bet you are really starting to feel better now. I remember the 1 week mark, I felt alot better. Good luck with keeping the weight on, I wish I had your problem (without an RPE though). I think I will have a shake tomorrow after all that talk about COokies N Creme. Ummm

chris k said...

SARPE and 4 wisdom teeth extracted (all erupted). I'm looking forward to expanding on monday so things can start to really heal where they should be.

Graham said...

Glad you're doing well Chris. The expansion part ought to be a piece of cake as it is for most folks. It feels weird but really shouldn't be very painful, nothing a swig of Motrin can't fix.

Tony, the Restless Foodie said...

Hey - thanks for the updates! You're my role model right now. I'm looking forward to it all being done as I'm sure you are too.