Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Cheeseburger Experiment

Some of you may remember my comment a while back to Erin about putting a cheeseburger in a blender. As I learned, she's vegetarian and therefore I had to step up to the challenge. Well after some clinical studies and numerous pie charts we've received the data back from the labs and I think I'm ready to publish.
Going into this thing I speculated that keeping the quintessential burger meal in tact would be the best plan. Burger, fries, and a shake. Have any of you dipped your fries in a chocolate shake? It's not half bad. We did it all the time at Wendy's growing up. Anyway, here are the ingredients before:






...aaaaaand here's the after:





...it was pretty awful. Maybe a beef broth instead of the shake? I wasn't sure. After some contemplation I noticed the cheddar soup my mom had bought earlier. Hm. Intriguing. So a couple days later after the shock of the initial attempt had passed I gave it another go.

This is a Jack-in-the-Box Ultimate Cheeseburger (no lettuce or tomato which helped I think) with a small order of onion rings in a bowl of Vons Cheddar Ale Signature Soup.




It came out the consistency of a stout oatmeal and while the flavor was exactly wht one would expect when chomping into such a greasy-cheesy-melty-mound-of-heaven, it wasn't exactly the same without the actual chomping. Until then, I'll be enjoying my Cream of Burger Soup.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

wow i just spent waay to long reading through all this, pretty amazing stuff my friend! but as for this one, last I have been trying to put myself in your carnivorous shoes but all i have to say is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...i mean good for you and all, but the only thing grosser than a hamburger is a hamburger shake.

Amy

bridget said...

Chris, I am with you 100% on this. Nice work.

Michelle said...

You picked the right night to post this, for I too had a burger for dinner. However, mine was freshly pattied and grilled to perfection..yummy I might add. The blender recipe just didn't do it for me, it was a great experiment though. During my SARPE, I was boring, I stuck to the basic soups, yogurts, etc. I never went out of the edge. Nice Job but EWWWWHHHHH....

Michelle said...

All I can say is, GROSS! If it works for you though, go for it! My diet consisted of smoothies, boost and cream of wheat. Boring! Maybe next time around I'll have to experiment a little bit. Not with fast food though.

Tara said...

I was nodding my head through the first part because my OS told me how one patient wanted a Big Mac. So he put it in with beef broth. My OS even tried it himself, said it wasn't half bad. Tasted like Bic Mac soup. Then I get to the part where you put the shake in there!!! WOW, that was funny! I could just imagine how that would taste. YUCK.

But fries dipped in your shake is pretty good!
~ Tara

amycq said...

wow have i been out of touch lately! you've been through a lot in the past couple months! yikes!! and i must agree with the rest of the panel when i say 'EWWWWWWWWW!' I was never that desperate! Beef broth was the closest thing to meat I got to back then!!!

So how are you feeling?? Are you happy it's semi-over? Do you have another surgery or just braces after this?? Why do I keep rambling off questions...?? oh..you don't have to answer that one...

Emily & Daniel said...

I just had my top and bottom jaws done a week ago...I was under the impression that I could eat in two weeks...I realy, really fear that I was sorely mistaken. I am soooo sick of Ensure and all I really want is to feel the nice crunch of a KFC chicken finger in my mouth. I've been at home all week and keep finding myself watching food network. This sucks. Did you have a splint? I really feel like that has been the worst part...also, not knowing what I'm going to look like afterwards. Please feel free to impart any advice that you may have.

laura said...

That's interesting. It looks a lot less like vomit than I expected. Still don't think I'll be trying it though =)

Laura

Michelle said...

How's that gap coming along?

Michelle said...

IT's update time! Cant wait to see where you are at and how you are doing.

Brandyleigh35 said...

OMG! That is so gross! I mean I tried some interesting combos and I bet that might not be too bad if you left the chocolate shake out! But that is just EEEEWWWWWW!

Maggie said...

Gross! But funny you tried it and posted the pictures! :)