Friday, November 9, 2007

Well I Can't Figure It Out

Ok SARPE survivors this one's specifically for you. I've been working out that fleshy mouth meat and getting used to the movement. When I first started checking things out after the hospital it looked like my front teeth were WAY more prominent than before. I thought this might've been because my upper lip was pretty swollen in an upward position and maybe they were just being "revealed" more than normal. But after careful observation I've noticed my maxilla is actually hanging lower than it used to and when I bite down (or would it be biting up?) I can press my upper teeth up a good 3-4mm. I understand that it has to flap around in order to allow for lateral movement once expansion starts, but once that's done how does the maxilla heal back up where it should be? Does the scar tissue just tighten up and pull everything back into place? Does bone fill in where it hangs and will I need to live with it until it can be reassessed for the next surgery?

I go in bright and early Monday morning to start clicking but am getting this kiddish impatience about the whole thing. Don't make me do the pouty lips. I'll do it. I have no shame.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I obviously have no answers to your questions but I hope no one else does either because I want to see you do the pouty lips. That would be really funny. Especially with the swelling, just down right funny.

Seriously though, I hope recovery is going well. Take care of yourself.

Shontelly said...

ewwwww stop messing with stuff!!
I donno - ask the OS.

Steph & Steve G said...

OBC Represent indeed!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Well I really think you are worrying way to early. Your mouth just went thru some major construction and I remember my mouth just not feeling right anywhere!! I thought teeth were falling out, I thought my incision was not right, lots of different things. You may think you are moving those teefers up but I doubt it. I would worry after your next appointment and In the mean time, lets see some pouty lips.

Graham said...

Yeah, don't worry man. The bone will fill in on its own. Remember, you actually want things to be loose until expansion is done. 'Till then things may seems like they are all over creation. The nasty part about SARPE is that it's like not being allowed to heal for however long it takes for the expansion to finish. After that you'll notice things will start to firm up within a week or two.