Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Land of the Living

Day #4 and mom wouldn't let me stay in bed anymore. Tough love in my family.

The surgery went well. Dr.Tawfilis said everything went as planned, wisdom teeth caused no issues. We showed up at 5:30am to check in and you'd think I was the only person having surgery that day. There wasn't a long wait from getting into my gown till I was in the room. I met my anaesthesiologist just prior, Dr.Cochran I think. I asked him where he went to med school. University of Michigan, he said. Some of the best hockey in the world there so I'm at ease ;) It didn't take but a minute after actually getting into the operating room that Dr.Cochran told me he was going to give me some stuff to sleep and that I should just relax. After the night I had before believe me I was ready to relax and go to sleep. No counting. Just relaxing and I was probably out in a second or two. When I woke up I was able to recall exactly what was going on, knew that I'd have gauze in my mouth etc. The wisdom teeth were the most painful part right off the bat. I got nauseated twice and it felt like a precursor to passing out but the nurse was able to give me something that calmed me down immediately. I think I remember her using the word "Dulotid," mmmm. Then they wheeled me to my room and got me hooked up on Torridol. I had the option of that or Morphine. I gave the Morphine a chance once and absolutely did not like it. They only gave me 1mg instead of the max 4mg but it was enough to make my breathing race so much that I couldn't sleep. So no more morphine for me. Later that night they started trying to get me to take in some liquids which was a challenge. Without rigid fixation you really can feel the maxilla shifting around when you swallow. It's disturbing. Sleeping through the night was hard because the pain came back. This time it was like my nasal area was on fire. The next morning I got up to use the bathroom and watched some football until The Chainsaw came to check up on and possibly discharge me. I felt ok and he said I looked good so I was free to go.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You made it!!
I'm so glad to hear you are doing okay.
It's all down hill from here! Swallowing will start to get much better. I remember being so nervous at first when I could feel my maxilla move. It was so unnerving. It actually took me a long time to start chewing again, I was just too scared. I was worried I might screw something up.
Relax and enjoy the pampering!

Tara said...

Chris,
It's good to hear that the surgery went well! I can't imagine how weird and unnerving that must feel to feel things move when you swallow. Keep us updated, and glad to see you on the "other side".
Wishing you a QUICK recovery!
~ Tara